Things That Bring About Stability – Today: Identifying and Eradicating Lies
- Note: Half-truths can do the same damage as a lie
It’s one thing to tell a lie, it’s another thing to believe a lie
- The Bible talks about both
- We don’t have time to look at both
- So, this isn’t so much about us lying – it’s mostly about us believing lies
Definition of “Lie”: (Merriam Webster)
- Something that misleads or deceives
- To make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
- To create a false or misleading impression
- Transitive verb: to bring about by telling lies
The SOURCE of Lies
John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (ESV)
NOTE: Jesus’ audience here – were those who didn’t believe in Him
- In the previous verses they actually accused Him of being from satan
- Jesus responded to them here in verse 44- Jesus actually categorized them – placing them into a group – (He wasn’t always politically correct) – Although He was honest and straightforward
- He SAID: People who don’t believe in me are of a “different father”
- My Father is the one up in heaven – your father is a murderer and liar
NOTE: Jesus also SAID: People who aren’t born of God – have a desire to fulfil a “different will” – than My Father’s will
- The “other will” doesn’t have to be something we consider big like murder
- It may be seeking after fame or going after a life of pleasure
What WE place value on isn’t always what GOD places value on
NOTE: Jesus also said: The devil is the father of lies
- Q: How is he the father of lies?
- A: he is the first recorded liar in the bible
Gen. 3:1 The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the LORD God had made. One day he asked the woman, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?”
Gen. 3:2 “Of course we may eat fruit from the trees in the garden,” the woman replied.
Gen. 3:3 “It’s only the fruit from the tree in the middle of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God said, ‘You must not eat it or even touch it; if you do, you will die.’”
Gen. 3:4 “You won’t die!” the serpent replied to the woman.
Gen. 3:5 “God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil.” (NLT)
- When God created man – their spirits were alive unto God
- The devil lied to them – they sinned – spiritual death came, and mankind died spiritually
- So, Adam and Eve lived on in their physical bodies – But they died spiritually
- Spiritual death resulted in mankind being born with a sin nature
1 Cor. 6:11 And all this describes what some of you were. But now you have had every stain washed off: now you have been set apart as holy: now you have been pronounced free from guilt; in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and through the Spirit of our God. (Weymouth)
Here are some main SOURCES of lies:
- The devil – (a liar and the father of all)
Rev. 12:10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. (ESV)
NOTE: satan is the accuser and Jesus is the Advocate
- Evil spirits – (they are just like their leader – the devil)
- How do devils and evil spirits do this?
- Many voices in the world
- They can speak to their minds – tell lies
- They can ALSO influence other people to lie to us
- How do devils and evil spirits do this?
- Fallen man – (by nature)
- Ever since the fall of man – people have been lying
- NOTE: the lying continued…
Gen. 4:9 Then the LORD said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother’s keeper?” (ESV)
- Our senses can lie to us
- Feelings aren’t reliable at all
- (ANDY – Wean United) – I have cancer…
- Even what the natural eye sees can lie about what God wants – We may see contrary things (David and Goliath) – it didn’t mean God changed His mind when Goliath showed up – God always knew Goliath would be there and He still promised them victory
The CONSEQUENCES of Lies
One: They Hinder God’s Work on Earth
- Make no mistake – the devil whispers in people’s ear – telling lies to anyone and everyone – to hinder the work of the church
- the gates of hell will always try to prevail against the church – but Jesus said they won’t be able too
Two: They Can Unite, Separate, Bring Peace, or War
1 Chr. 19:1 Now after this Nahash the king of the Ammonites died, and his son reigned in his place.
1 Chr. 19:2 And David said, “I will deal kindly with Hanun the son of Nahash, for his father dealt kindly with me.” So David sent messengers to console him concerning his father. And David’s servants came to the land of the Ammonites to Hanun to console him.
1 Chr. 19:3 But the princes of the Ammonites said to Hanun, “Do you think, because David has sent comforters to you, that he is honouring your father? Have not his servants come to you to search and to overthrow and to spy out the land?” (ESV)
1 Chr. 19:18 And the Syrians fled before Israel, and David killed of the Syrians the men of 7,000 chariots and 40,000 foot soldiers, and put to death also Shophach the commander of their army. (ESV)
1 Chr. 19:19 And when the servants of Hadadezer saw that they had been defeated by Israel, they made peace with David and became subject to him. So the Syrians were not willing to save the Ammonites anymore. (ESV)
Lies have united groups of people for common purposes – when a lie unites someone for a common purpose – it’s usually not a good purpose
Three: Lies Can MOVE People to Action
Lies can affect the relationship between two people the same way a lie can drive nations to war
- Both truth and lies can offend people – (Jesus offended people with truth)
- When a lie offends, it happens in our emotional and mental realm
Lies move us in our mind and emotions – because there isn’t truth to engage our spiritual hearts
- When someone is moved by a lie– it can range from quiet or concealed hurt – all the way to uncontrolled rage
- Being moved by lies can result in extremes
- Killing or loving
- Crying or laughing
- Fear or fake faith – (foolishness)
Truth moves people from the heart – because truth engages the heart (spirit of man)
- Once truth engages our hearts it can move us both physically and emotionally
The ERADICATING of Lies
ASK ourselves: Is what I am thinking true?
- AM I Being lied too?
- Am I believing a lie because it looks true?
- Do I know for sure it’s a fact?
Sources: Devil – Evil Spirits – Fallen Man – My senses
Lies we believe about ourselves:
- I am not good enough.
- I might fail.
- I might not have enough money.
- There seems to be no way. This is impossible.
- How will I make it? Which way should I go?
- I am not pretty enough or the right weight.
- I might mess up my future.
- I am a failure. God doesn’t love me.
- He/She doesn’t care about me.
- He/She doesn’t respect me.
- He/She is so insensitive to my needs.
- I told He/She that a thousand times – He/ She doesn’t care that I brought it up.
- He/She is too busy with work for me.
- He/She cares more about church than for me.
Here are common lies told us
- God and His Word are boring
- God doesn’t love me, He hates me
- God doesn’t keep his promises
- You can’t trust God
- God can’t trust me
- God doesn’t heal or do miracles
- Something bad is going to happen to me
- I will die early of cancer
- I have plenty of time to obey God
- God just wants me to be happy. If it feels right, go ahead and do it
- satan doesn’t exist
- I am no better than the common sinner out there
- So and so doesn’t respect me at all
- God is a tyrant
- Church isn’t important
- Jesus isn’t coming back
- There is no hell
- That person is against me
One: The Father of Truth is in Us
Heb. 6:18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. (NLT)
Two: Truth Eradicates Lies
John 8:31 Jesus therefore said to those of the Jews who had now believed in Him, “As for you, if you hold fast to my teaching, then you are truly my disciples;
John 8:32 and you shall know the Truth, and the Truth will make you free.” (Weymouth)
Three: Don’t Assume and Go on Hearsay
Someone will always be talking – if we don’t talk the devil keeps talking
- It really helps to go to people and talk so the devil can’t lie
STORY: A pastor who once spoke ill of me wanted it to stop – so he came to me and said…
- Don’t assume what someone said is true
- Go to the person and ask